Customer Personas & Journey Maps
Customer Seat at the Table
Customer personas and journey maps are used in conducting opportunity assessments to identify customers, define customer segments, understand problems for those customers and determine whether there is a viable market opportunity.
A customer journey map is a diagram or several diagrams that depict the stages that customers go through in interacting with a company. This tool helps companies see what their customers truly want – the real moments of truth and the ways in which customers go about meeting their needs.
Personas are a description of the typical users for the product or feature and are important for creating shared understanding and empathy for the customer.
A persona description includes:
- Name and demographics
- Position or role
- Needs, wants, goals
- Values, fears
- Any other information that helps to describe the customer’s perspective relative to the problem
Problems We’re Trying to Solve
- Lack of clarity on customers and customer segments
- Not understanding the customer’s perspective
- Missing information about what customers are doing today to solve their problems
- Solving the wrong problem
- Insightful and accurate understanding of target customers, measured by delivery of business value
- Identification of viable market opportunities for solving customer’s problems, measured by return on investment