Lean Portfolio Management
“Stop starting and start finishing”
Lean Portfolio Management is applying lean thinking to managing enterprise, program and product portfolios to provide a fast and flexible flow of high-value work. This approach focuses on delivering the most valuable work first while limiting work-in-process, limiting interruptions and aligning the work to the organization’s capacity. Lean Portfolio Management prioritizes the business features being worked based on business value and manages the work in a visible portfolio. It is a results-based approach incorporating regular inspection and validation of results.
This pillar includes the following competencies: Epic Breakdown, Opportunity Assessment, Demand/Capacity Management and Finance and Governance.
Problems We Are Solving
- The backlog is not visible at the enterprise level
- Portfolio prioritization is not consistent or effective
- Capacity is not well understood
- Initiatives are started without a clear definition of the expected result
- Multi-tasking leads to many projects getting started but not finished
- Ideas are qualified, justified, initiated and prioritized, measured by delivery of business value
- Work in process is limited to effective throughput, measured by predictable velocity and delivery
- Stable teams pull from the prioritized backlog (rather than teams being formed to complete projects), measured by early payback, higher business value and increased throughput
Agile/Lean Portfolio BIG Room Planning
This workshop will take your team through a practical, real world and intensive hands-on journey of applying Agile, Lean and Kanban to YOUR Portfolio Planning and Management.
Opportunity Assessment Workshop
This workshop provides students with a practical “hands-on” product and UX design thinking experience within the “Opportunity Assessment Phase” of the Enterprise Business Agility framework.
Lean Portfolio Health Radar
Designed to give a holistic organizational view of your Portfolio Heath and maturity
SAFe Release Train Health Radar & SAFe Portfolio Health Radar
The AgilityHealth SAFe agile assessment radars provide a powerful way to assess the health of your release trains and portfolios by digging deeper into the key dimensions for success and visualizing the results.
‘Designed by Foster’
- Lack of visibility
- Little understanding of demand vs. capacity
- Lack of clarity, alignment & definition of the Enterprise priority, outcomes, roadmaps & MVPs
- Lack of Portfolio success metrics (available data does not support the goals)
Change Management Solutions
- Enterprise prioritization & incentives
- Enterprise Clarity Center, Portfolio Kanban & enterprise metrics
- Define & understand the current state
- Define the vision for the future state
- Align finance & budgeting to enterprise transformation