Org Design & Structure
“Bring the work to the team, don’t pull the people to the work.”
Stable Teams are formed to exist for the long term, over different initiatives and projects. Keeping teams stable allows teams to improve over time and become high-performing. Stable Teams result in more productivity, predictability and responsiveness.
A Stable Team is a cross-functional group of Individuals that have all the skills, tools they need to design, develop, test and release customer value to production. They remain together intact for the long term; existing for different projects/deliverables and aligned with other teams to deliver end to end customer value. The team co-locates physically or collaborates virtually and works together daily practicing Agile.
The Stable Teams pillar includes Team Design and Rollout, Stability and Allocation, Manager Transition and Communities of Practice and Enabling Teams.
Problems We Are Solving
- Slow time to market, it takes too long to deliver
- Lack of focus, conflicting priorities, and people multi-tasking across several projects
- Silos, hand-offs and lots of cross-team dependencies
- Specialized roles and “not my job” mindsets
- Lack of predictability for planning and unrealistic estimates for when work will get done
- The organization brings the work to the teams and can effectively plan to capacity as business priorities and strategies change over time, measured by predictable velocity, predictable delivery, and value delivered
- Team design provides the right balance between strategic and operational/support work, measured by time to market and value delivered
- Managers understand their role and create an environment to support high performing teams, measured by team performance, culture and leadership
- Enabling Teams and Communities of Practice provide needed skills and continuous growth and improvement to teams, measured by team performance (confidence, predictable delivery, time to market, value delivered, quality and responsiveness to change)
This pillar focuses on the below competencies. The Learn More links take customers and certified EBA Strategists to resources inside our measurement and growth platform, AgilityHealth. Use your AgilityHealth login to access.
Team & Org. Structure
Team Design and Rollout is the process of forming Agile Teams and aligning those teams to the business value driven work that needs to be completed. This includes determining which types of teams need to be formed, what value streams they could align to, what type of work those teams will be doing, and what roles to fill on the teams. Learn More
Stable Teams are long-lasting teams that are different from project teams that are assembled and disbanded as projects are launched and closed out. These teams have dedicated team members and a clear and consistent focus for their work. Work is allocated to these teams according to their capacity, which becomes predictable over time. Learn More
To support and lead Stable Teams, managers must make the shift from a traditional environment of managing for results to creating environments for success. Learn More
Related Radar Assessments
- Manager resistance
- Team members with fragmented allocation
- Collaborative workspace is not available
- Lack of Agile training, coaching & experience
- Difficult to manage distributed teams
Change Management Solutions
- Training, education & coaching for managers
- Dedicated allocation of team members
- Creative workspace solutions
- Training, education & coaching for team members
- Embracement of creative tooling & processes for distributed teams
- COPs & areas of excellence