“Bring the work to the team, don’t pull the people to the work.”
Stable Teams are formed to exist for the long term, over different initiatives and projects. Keeping teams stable allows teams to improve over time and become high-performing. Stable Teams result in more productivity, predictability and responsiveness.
A Stable Team is a cross-functional group of Individuals that have all the skills, tools they need to design, develop, test and release customer value to production.
They remain together intact for the long term; existing for different projects/deliverables and aligned with other teams to deliver end to end customer value.
The team co-locates physically or collaborates virtually and works together daily practicing Agile.
The Stable Teams pillar includes Team Design and Rollout, Stability and Allocation, Manager Transition and Communities of Practice and Enabling Teams.
Problems We’re Trying to Solve
- Slow time to market, it takes too long to deliver
- Lack of focus, conflicting priorities, and people multi-tasking across several projects
- Silos, hand-offs and lots of cross-team dependencies
- Specialized roles and “not my job” mindsets
- Lack of predictability for planning and unrealistic estimates for when work will get done
- The organization brings the work to the teams and can effectively plan to capacity as business priorities and strategies change over time, measured by predictable velocity, predictable delivery, and value delivered
- Team design provides the right balance between strategic and operational/support work, measured by time to market and value delivered
- Managers understand their role and create an environment to support high performing teams, measured by team performance, culture and leadership
- Enabling Teams and Communities of Practice provide needed skills and continuous growth and improvement to teams, measured by team performance (confidence, predictable delivery, time to market, value delivered, quality and responsiveness to change)
Enterprise Business Agility Strategy Workshop
Learn about EBA and develop your own vision, outcome and quarterly roadmap.
Capacity Management – Designing Stable Teams
Design your cross-functional team and align them to your value streams.
Designing Enterprise Agile Stable Teams